The Art of Getting to YES, an interview with Michael Wilkinson, Certified Master Facilitator and author of The Secrets of Facilitation and The Secrets to Masterful Meetings. Mr. Wilkinson is the Managing Director of Leadership Strategies Inc, a leadership training and strategy consulting firm specializing in group facilitation. He is considered a national leader in the facilitation industry. Active in both the private and public sectors, he has provided leadership training and strategy development assistance to such diverse organizations as The Coca-Cola Company, Unisys, Sears, EPA, CDC, the Georgia Society of Association Executives, and the United Way. In this interview we discuss the following questions:
- What are the most important steps in planning for a facilitated meeting?
- How do you phrase questions that ignite a bonfire of responses?
- How do you gain buy-in to the agenda?
- What should you do at the beginning of every agenda item to get the group focused?
- How do you give directions that are accurate, clear and concise?
- How do you maintain energy throughout a session?
- What are strategies you can take prior to the session to prevent dysfunctional behavior?
- How do you address dysfunctions such as the drop-out, the nay-sayer, the whisperer, the verbal attacker?
- How do you maximize Q&A sessions to ensure that the most important questions get asked?
- What are the three reasons people disagree?
- How do you resolve a disagreement based on different values or experiences?
- How do you ensure buy-in and commitment to the decisions made in the meeting?
- What are the most important activities to do before closing a session?
- How to run virtual meetings?
- What to do if the leader is not leading?
- Whose work has influenced you?
- MP3 recording of interview
- Written notes summarizing the highlights
About Michael Wilkinson. Mr. Wilkinson is a much sought after facilitator, trainer and speaker, both in the U.S. and around the globe. He has completed international assignments in Bangkok, Brisbane, Brussels, Glasgow, Hamburg, Hong Kong, London, Melbourne, Milan, Singapore, Sydney and Wellington. Past participants have commented that his dynamic presentation style, combined with his unique insights, make for an intense, power-packed session.
Prior to Leadership Strategies, Mr. Wilkinson spent six years with ADP and eight years in the information technology practice of Ernst & Young’s Management Consulting Group. He is a High Honors graduate from Dartmouth and resides with his wife and two children in Atlanta, Georgia.
Satisfaction Guarantee. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with this product, simply email us with a request to refund/credit your credit card in the full amount and we will do so immediately. It’s our policy to do this and we honor this in every single case.