Facilitation as a discipline has been around since the 60’s and 70’s, and is used by organizational development consultants, facilitators, trainers, business coaches, project managers, meeting chairman, clergy, and other group leaders. Still, it’s not well known by the majority of people who meet every day in groups. Even among its practitioners, a clear definition and placement of this field within the larger field of human science is difficult to agree upon.
Any noteworthy accomplishment in this day and age takes the focused energy of committed groups. Yet, people working ineffectively together is the most often cited obstacle to finding solutions to problems.
Facilitation is now the technology of choice for improving the effectiveness and efficiency of groups. Richard Weaver & John Farrell, authors of “Managers as Facilitators,” go so far as to say that…
Facilitation is the most important role emerging in the modern workplace.
Speaking across centuries, a sage delivers timeless wisdom on the essence of leadership, and the spirit of facilitation…
A good leader is best when people barely know that he leads. A good leader talks little but when the work is done, the aim fulfilled, all others will say, “We did this ourselves.”
— Lao Tse—
And from a recent participant of our Journey of Collaboration course…
Facilitation helps people tap into the collection brain power of a group.
Facilitation, in its simplest form, is the act of helping groups to make a change as easily as possible. It’s about helping a group get from point A to point B where these points could represent any of the following:
Point A ==> Point B
Problem ==> Solution
Conflict ==> Resolution
Confusion ==> Clear Plan
Chaos ==> Order
Disagreement ==> Consensus
Are you an executive, business leader, or facilitator struggling to get your people to work together effectively?
- Facilitating cooperation and effective communication within and across working groups is often our greatest challenge.
- Statistics show that executives spend half their time in meetings and most of them will tell you that much of that time is wasted.
- Teams continue to deal with ongoing conflicts, habitual miscommunication, and overall poor collective performance that is far below their potential.
You can learn how to supercharge your teams
- Research shows that on average, leaders of meetings and working groups are not equipped with basic group leadership and facilitation skills.
- Once these skills are learned, groups get far more done in less time, while saving money and loads of frustration.
- Artful utilization of these skills helps to create an atmosphere that is inspiring and exciting to work within, a place where people are most productive and committed.
- Hundreds of thousands, and in some cases, millions of dollars each year are saved by improving facilitation and leadership skills that increase productivity and reduce attrition.
Facilitating your groups to work together effectively isn’t rocket science, but…
- Effective group leadership and facilitation skills aren’t widely taught.
- Leaders and project managers receive little training in the “context” in which their technical skills are meant to be used—within groups of people!
- Group process is a science unto itself. Fortunately, what you need to know is not all that hard to learn.
Master Conscious Acts of Facilitative Leadership
- Successful group leadership involves a focus on group dynamics AND results.
- Effective facilitation of people processes offers huge leverage to you as a business leader.
- Synergy builds within your group when your people feel valued and heard, increasing their value to your organization.
- Facilitative Leadership will directly impact your revenue and retention rates.
Thanks so much for your support in the planning of this challenging facilitation project! It was a tremendous help to have you as a sounding board all along the way, reflecting back where I was on track while offering important perspectives that I had missed. Thanks to your key suggestions and encouragement, I am back on track, after being derailed for a bit by worry about doing it “right,” and feeling much more confident and clear.
Thanks again Steve… I am a free woman!
–Lynne Hutchinson, Corporate Coach and Trainer–
FacilitatorU.com has “Just-in-Time” e-learning, tools, training, and resources to help leaders maximize their group’s results
- Largest online collections of tools, resources, and training in facilitative leadership, much of which you can learn without leaving your offices.
- Teleclass trainings, coaching, resource guides, expert interviews, articles and other resources to help you effectively lead and facilitate groups.
- Lifetime memberships offering total access to all our resources.
- Licenses and group rates available for corporations.
- Onsite training and kickoff sessions to get your groups aligned for results.
- Executive coaching for skill building and enhanced results.
Experience a free sample now with our Facilitative Leadership E-course by leaving your contact info in the form at the top of this page.